Spark provides flash fiction romance and women’s fiction stories under 1,000 words. We want stories that will grab the reader and put a lil’ spark in their day. Sadly, there’s no quicker way to get your masterpiece rejected than to ignore our submission guidelines. So please read through the following information before sending us your story.
- Your well-edited story should be between 300 and 1,000 words long.
- We accept stories that fit the following genres: romance (any time period), romantic suspense, and women’s fiction. YA in these genres is also accepted.
WE DO NOT PUBLISH:
- Previously published flash fiction.
- Scenes/excerpts/synopses from novels (however, you can use existing characters from your own novels).
- Excessive violence, profanity, or erotica in any form. Use a PG-13 movie rating as a guide.
- Conversely, we don’t want thinly veiled stories that preach from a soapbox of any sort, whether political, religious, or otherwise.
FLASH FICTION RESOURCE & SAMPLE STORIES: The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction is a great place to learn the fundamentals and intricacies of flash fiction if you’re new to the genre. Also, we encourage you to peruse our sample story so you can get a feel for the type of well-written flash fiction we typically publish.
- We only accept email submissions with attached MS Word docs unless special arrangements have been made.
- We only accept submissions within our accepted genres (romance, romantic suspense, women’s fiction)
- Review our Manuscript & Email Formatting Guidelines carefully for instructions on how to format your story.
- Send your properly formatted story to email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your allowed senders list, or our reply may go to your junk/spam email folder.
RESPONSE TIME: Please allow 4-6 weeks for a response. As time allows, rejections may receive suggestions. We may ask to hold your story for a future issue.
There is never a fee to submit your stories to Spark. At this time, we are not paying authors, but we are providing social media exposure and a publishing credit for your portfolio.
Before You Submit
Double check to make sure you’re fulfilling all guidelines. If you don’t, you will need to resubmit it properly before it will be considered for publication.
See our submission schedule for deadlines and themes for each issue.
Should we select one of your works for publication, we will notify you via email. If you don’t hear from us within four weeks after your submission, feel free to follow up.
Please contact us with any questions.
Thanks for your interest in Spark. Happy writing!